I've been natural for about 8 years. My hair has slowed it's growth exponentially since the first year. I mean an extreme drop!
My First year, like most naturals, I watched every Natural Hair Youtuber of 2011, I purchased every natural hair product on the Target shelf and exclusive to online, and lastly I made my own products!!
It wasn't easy the first year but when I found my groove, I grew my hair to 6 inches after doing a big chop. The growth was insane, and I was excited for the potential of having 20 inches of fluffy black curly coily hair. I had some favorite holy grail processes that I know contributed to that growth spurt.
GROW 4-6 inches in 1 year
1. Deep Conditioning : I deep conditioned at least once a week for no less than 1 hour. I used one of the following: Deva Curl Heaven in Hair, DIY Greek Yogurt Deep Conditioner (Greek Yogurt unsweetened, Honey, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Lavender essential oil, Peppermint Essential Oil, Tresseme Naturals Conditioner) , Aussie Moist Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Conditioner.
2. Shampoo once a month/Co Wash three times a month: Shea Moisture, Deva Curl One Condition, Terressentials Mud Wash
3. Hot Oil Treatment one-two times a month
5. Gel: Natural Flax Seed Gel , Eco Styler Gel
6. PROTECTIVE STYLES: Box Braids, flat twists, braid outs, wigs
7. Night Routine: Spray Hair with water mixture, pineapple or twist hair up and wrap in satin scarf (Water Mixture: 1/8 parts knot today, 1/8 part favorite oil, 1/8 part leave in conditioner, 5/8 part water: Add a few drops of peppermint/eucalyptus essential oil to improve blood circulation)
8. Massage the scalp nightly for at least 1 minute
9. Winter months: DIY Shea Butter Whip
10. Lots of water and my favorite hair vitamins Viviscal
It took me a while to figure out this nice little combo but when I did, the curls couldn't stop growing!
But then I got lazy.
And my hair slowed to a 1 inch a year rate.
So now I start this journey again with a few different products but same concept.
1. Shampoo: Shea Moisture
2. Deep Conditioner + Rice Water: Aussie Moist, Shea Moisture, Deva Curl
3. Hot Oil Treatment
4. Protein Treatment
5. Protective Styles
6. Above Night Routine